[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [zzdev] GZigZag and OpenGL
- To: matthewchadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [zzdev] GZigZag and OpenGL
- From: Tuomas Lukka <lukka@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:01:03 +0200
- Cc: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <188.8.131.52.0.20020113124255.00a5bab0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; from matthewchadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx on Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:46:07PM +0000
- Mail-followup-to: Tuomas Lukka <lukka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, matthewchadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx, zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
- References: <20020112193709.A19929@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <184.108.40.206.0.20020113124255.00a5bab0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:46:07PM +0000, matthewchadwick@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> use Java3d. http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html
> comes in OpenGL version.
> nice API, love it.
The API may be nice, but using JNI for each OpenGL call is pure murder.
Java->C calling is *SLOW*. We want to be able to put the lowest-level
rendering loops into C/C++.
Also, there is the additional problem that there are (AFAIK) no libre
implementations of Java3D, which would take us further away from being
able to really run on completely free software.
I think that we'll probably do a C/C++ library geared towards our needs
(i.e. font rastering using freetype, loops for common things we draw etc).