[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
The new Constructor Bomb stuff
- To: <vlad!mark>
- Subject: The new Constructor Bomb stuff
- From: Eric Dean Tribble <tribble>
- Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 12:58:48 PDT
- Cc: <ravi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xtech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <MarkS.Miller'smessageofThu>,35 PDT <9008100417.AA01434@vlad.>
myHomeDocument _ WaldoModel make.
User2HomeDocumentSchnert create: self with: myHomeDocument.
Sorry, this no longer works. We worried about this case, but decided
that it wasn't worth supporting. To a first approximation,
constructors should only be called from within pseudo-constructors,
which in turn return their result. If in the above code you replace
the "create:" call with the corresponding "make:" call, and write the
necessary pseudo-constructor, then the problem goes away.
I think this can easily be made to work. If the translator encounters
a default construction *statement* rather than embedded as an
expression, it can output the appropriate translation. Is there any
reason not to provide this support?