[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
A Macro for Steppers
- To: <xanadu!mark>
- Subject: A Macro for Steppers
- From: Eric Dean Tribble <xanadu!tribble>
- Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 13:48:44 PST
- Cc: <eric@son-of-blob>, <xtech@son-of-blob>
- In-reply-to: <MarkS.Miller'smessageofSun>,53 PST <8912110705.AA25477@xanadu>
A problem arises when the action in the Stepper loop involves a return
from the embodying function. The execution scopes of X++ and Smalltalk
differ somewhat here: A return in the X++ macro will return from the
function that uses the macro, whereas a return in the block in Smalltalk
would just return from the block, but not the calling method. ...
I believe that a return from the block in Smalltalk also returns from
the invoking method, so the two languages agree here. I'm also not
Yes. It's quite annoying that there is no convenient way to
explicitly return out of a block except by falling off the end.
Smalltalk has the same return semantics as a return expression in X++.