:zz,tpx: Just realized I was wrong about RefWindow caching--

[the following Resend was bounced by mail servers]

Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:22:20 +0900 (JST)
[stuff cut]

From: Ted Nelson <ted@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: :zz,tpx: Just realized I was wrong about RefWindow caching--
Cc: ted, marlene@xxxxxxxxxx, eharter@xxxxxxxxx

Andrew,

In last night's discussion I got a bit derailed about RefWindow
 caching.

(A RefWindow (referential window) is a zz cell that looks
 into a document stored as a file outside ZZ.  We've been
 calling it a Referential Cell, but I think RefWindow says it
 better.)

A RefWindow is defined as a frame which knows its height,
 width, and *where in the document it points to*.

We'll be wanting it to scroll.  So what needs to be cached
 is generally the whole document, not just what appears in
 the window.

(Note: scrolling is being defined for our TPX generator,
 but in general it shd work with other windows as well,
 such as WordPad.)

(For funny-formated doxx, like HTML and Word, I favor
 parsing into our own better-generalized parallel format).

ChrzT

Theodor Holm Nelson, Project Professor,
 Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the Day, 99.04.20
"If Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell-check."-- Dan Quayle