:zz: Paired dimensions: Constraint & Conjoinment

(A mislaid reply to Mark-Jason from a month ago)

Mark-Jason sez (fuller below):
>... My whole point about `conjoinment' is that I'd also need a
>way to create two dimensions and somehow inform ZZ that they were
>conjoint and that they should get some f the same sort of special
>treatment that inside-contents presently get.

I think that might fit in my idea of constraining
 particular dimensions.  So particular operations
 on these particular dimensions would mandate
 particular conjoined operations.

Let's see ================================
 (random sample thoughts defining desirable operations):

Put-into
 If no contents, starts a contents list (d.contents hanging
 as first item in d.inside).  If contents alread exist, append
 to that contents list.
Show-contents
 Rotate chosen window into d.inside/d.contents.  Place
 cursor on first item plusward in d.contents.
Mark
 If appending to old mark, append to that mark in d.marklist.
 If starting new mark, create new item in d.mark starting new
 list in d.marklist.

Best, Ted

At 09:33 AM 11/4/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> A lot of the clumsiness, though, is about the present
>>  interface mechanisms.  If we had a function, "put this
>>  in here," and this happened to be the mechanism,
>>  would you like it better ?-)
>
>Somewhat.  My whole point about `conjoinment' is that I'd also need a
>way to create two dimensions and somehow inform ZZ that they were
>conjoint and that they should get some f the same sort of special
>treatment that inside-contents presently get.  I think that this would
>be a necessary part of the improved interface.

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/  (Professorial page)
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net (see also Professorial page, above)
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.12.02:
Mike McNally, president of the Air Traffic Controllers Union, yesterday
assured the press that air traffic controllers can take over from computers
in case Y2K bugs hit the system.
     "I'm not trying to indicate that when our computers shut down that
everything is hunky-dory.  There is a major transition period where the
heart is beating and things are happening fast, and people are yelling and
screaming to try to get a handle on it," he said.  (cnn.com, dateline
98.12.01)