Re: [zzdev] Re: editor

M'Jason saith:

>I would suggest that if the user wants to open a dataset read-only
>then we could provide a cprogram command-line argument that says so
>explicitly.  Then they could still use their favorite editor to view
>cell contents without changing them.

Sounds just right.

Best, T

At 06:25 PM 11/15/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> Suggestion:
>>
>> Instead of dying on no-editor-found we should note to the user that
>> the dataset is read-only.
>
>I don't think it makes sense to couple these two things together.
>They are not related.  It makes sense to use the user's favorite
>editor to view cell contents even if they are read-only, and
>conversely, the user can modify a writable dataset with commands like
>`break_link' whether or not their editor makes sense.
>
>Also, suppose you try to start up ZigZag, and you end up in read-only
>mode.  You didn't want that, so you set about trying to correct the
>problem.  You check the permissions on the file, no, the permissions
>are all right.  Maybe you check some other things.  But you are not
>likely to think to check whether `emacs' is installed in /usr/bin or
>/usr/local/bin.
>
>That is not the Principle of Least Surprise.
>
>> This lets people frob the choose_editor() function to set things to
>> read-only if they want.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>I would suggest that if the user wants to open a dataset read-only
>then we could provide a cprogram command-line argument that says so
>explicitly.  Then they could still use their favorite editor to view
>cell contents without changing them.
>
>	zigzag -r file.zz		Read-only mode

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.11.12:
"Everything is just like everything else.  And sometimes even more so."
TN98