Re: Ranks & Phyla

> (Actually, I think it's more like a collection of fields,
>  and therefore a *record*.  Sorry if that's staking it
>  too literally.)

I don't see how that is, at least with a convenional interpretation of
`record'.  A record is a list of the various properties of a single thing.
This is a bunch of things that all have something in common.

> (See my paper, "The Tyranny of the File," Datamation,
>  late eighties ...)

Sorry, I don't have time to get to the library this month.  Unless
it's on-line or you can fax or mail it, I won't be able to look it up.