:zz: SLICES, What a Concept (not just whole melons)

Hiyo--

>zzdump and zzundump always deal with a whole slice, which is the name
>we chose to refer to a Zigzag database.

Au contraire!

I have been using the term "slice" since it was suggested
 by Ian McFarland, I think in 1989, to refer to a *subset*
 of ZZ cells.

The model I have been wanting to implement starts
 with a "cornerstone" of data-- Slice 0-- which always
 stays resident.  Other slices may be brought in or out
 as desired.

The purpose is not just to save memory.  The purpose
 is also to get them visually and structurally out of the way.
 My article of July 14-- which nobody seems to want to
 deal with-- is a careful, principled method for slice management
 that I want to work up to.

I will resend that memo,
ZigZag Design Notes: SLICE LOGIC 1  (d6

It won't go away !-)

ChrzT

At 04:53 PM 10/2/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 05:32:54PM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
>> I'm gearing up to try your text-dump files.
>>
>> In the program you refer to a "slice".  Does
>>  that mean it's possible to specify less than a
>>  whole database?
>
>No.  That's what the export function is for.
>
>zzdump and zzundump always deal with a whole slice, which is the name
>we chose to refer to a Zigzag database.
>
>Cheers,
>	*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.com.au/                       Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.05:
"All you have to do to work on ZigZag is fully unscrew your head
and put it down in a safe place where it can be sure to watch you."
TN 98.09.25