Re: Poolin pilkkominen - splitting the pool

Tuukka, in the future we should discuss these kinds of things
on the open lists.

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:06:25PM +0200, Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> Hei,
> Kuinkas nyt edetään mediaserver-poolin (en jaksa miettiä mitä toi on
> suomeksi :-( pilkkomisessa? Toisaalta siellä on blokeissa materiaalia
> johon meillä ei ole tekijänoikeuksia - ne voidaan vain mv:tää, toisaalta
> avaruudessa on osia (voitaneen olettaa slicejä) joita ei haluta jakaa
> kaikille.

Well, currently I don't think there are any parts we shouldn't
distribute except the .ps / .pdf files we don't have copyright for.

> Mitenkä päin inkluusiosuhteen edes pitäisi mennä? Onko jokaisella
> käyttäjällä oma avaruus jossa gzz-clientspace on slicenä, vai toisinpäin?
> Mitä tähän vaaditaan?

This is an important question; to translate:
How should we deal with the inclusion relationship? Does every user
have his/her own space where the clientspace is a slice, or the other
way around. What does this require?

Answer:
I think the first alternative: everyone has their own root space. The views
and clasm code and default bindings etc. should come from the clientspace.

> Miten useampien poolien serverit organisoidaan? Luodaanko ms.gzigzag.org
> ja sen alle poolin nimiä vastaavat hakemistot? Konetta voisi sitten
> vaihtaa CNAME:a muuttamalla, ja pooleja voisi tarvittaessa hajauttaa
> http-redirecteillä.

This is actually a non-issue, if you think about the structure of the
mediaserver P2P space: it doesn't matter where you sync your pool!

Our group should probably have three pools:
	- private
	- public but writable only by us
	- public, read/write by anyone
The other pools will be hosted by whoever wants to host them.

Remember: this is not the WWW where it's important *WHERE* something is.

	Tuomas