Re: [zzdev] Re renderinfo drawing boxes

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

> > Hmmm... Issues are:
> > * Should renderinfo really draw the boxes itself?
>
> That's the default implementation so I don't have to copy the code
> to both Trivial and SimpleVobSet.
>
> Note that the method is not final: it can be overridden by something
> that calls the theme-appropriate routine.

The question is whether *that* should be the default implementation so
you don't have to copy the code to both Trivial and SimpleVobSet.

> > * At some point I want to experiment with connections rendered between
> > background and box. Then we probably need a different model.
>
> I still think that this has enormous problems. It gets very difficult
> to make it consistent when nearby, overlapping cells are connected.
>
> Probably an alpha channel approach would work better there.
>
> Or overlying translucent things.

This does not solve the problem, it just makes it a bit less obvious.
(Play a case that doesn't work with the one model through with the other
model. Most work in neither.) That suggests that the underlying model is
not right. We cannot fix that now, but we should get back to it sometime.

> > * The box used may affect the visual center of the vob, as in
> > ball-and-stick, and thus change the ways views and decorations behave.
>
> No, the box shouldn't. Ball and stick is different in many ways from
> the normal box stuff. I don't think that the same code can be used.

Then abstracting the boxes out does not have any use at all. It just
allows for different themes, which aren't essential at this stage of
development. If you really think that ball-and-stick should be done
somehow differently, I suggest you come up with a way for that, we
implement that, and remove all the current box code.

-b.