Re: [zzdev] what was the kaffe problem?

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> you told me something about gzz and kaffe, but I was so focused on
> getting those photocopies that I missed the whole story.  Can you repeat
> it, please?

Gzz runs on kaffe but a strange bug makes kaffe start returning 0 from all
stringWidth calls about two-five cursor motions from start. Totally
bizarre: it works for a while and then all cells narrow down to squares
(the current minimum width is the height).

I reported a debian bug: kaffe 1.0.6 is out, which they say fixes a lot of
bugs so it just might fix this too. It was considerably slower at startup
but about as fast in animation as IBM's 1.1.8.

	Tuomas