Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] VStream, structured, formatted text applitude

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Benjamin Fallenstein wrote:
> > Ok, maybe I'm using the word "flob" a bit too freely and should move to
> > "blob". The flob I was talking about is simply a displayed thing on the
> > screen, which is associated with a particular cell.
> >
> > Ted's real, structural flob is a special case of this. Maybe I should go
> > back to calling these "Thing"s again.
>
> Think so -- this one confused me. I'm not sure how much better blob is
> -- reading it by itself, I wouldn't be able to assign *any* meaning to
> it (except, maybe Binary Large OBject, which you *don't* mean). Thing
> has already another meaning in ZZ already; what about "rendered
> thing/object/<something>?"

Yes, but we need a one-word way to say it. And also there's a renderable,
of which our "Flob" is a subclass, with the specialization that it is tied
to a cell. The Renderable can be just a decoration - the lines showing the
connections between the cells are Renderables - you see that because when
you move from cell to cell and the view animates, the connecting lines -
the renderables - disappear and only the Flobs/blobs/whatever animate.

That is actually what the current Flob/blob mechanism originated from:
being able to associate an object in the adjacent frames so that it can be
animated.

I like blob because it is visual of squishing a flying object by dropping
it onto a 2D (or 3D) plane. But you're right, it doesn't have that good a
meaning.

> > What you say is quite possible, and some of the code for the newer system
> > I'm writing just now.
>
> Very good. I'll dive into the code tomorrow, and send you a report as
> soon as I find a telephone line to plug my notebook into (don't know
> when this'll happen).

Hmm. Do a cvs update tomorrow since between now and then, a lot may have
happened. If you are planning to start using the code, I recommend
subscribing to gzigzag-commits to see what's happening.

	Tuomas