:gzz: error message when tried to move data to next version (was Re: :gzz: Needs 2 for usability (was Re: :zz: Re: [private to Tuomas] You NEED to work wth prototype (was Re: URGENT: using GZZ for presentation on July 12th

we sez

>> 2)  Data stability--
>> I could not move my data files forward from v.0704 to v.0706.
>0704 -> 0706 there are not that many changes! This is definitely
>a bug, and there should be no need for a program. Could you describe
>in detail what happens?

I'm very sorry, it's impossible to stop and right down everything
 that happens when we're trying to get something done.

It was something about "missing cell on d.2", I think.

I'll ask Marlene to try to replicate it, she has 0706 running and
 prob. has my previous data.

(delay)  ============= here is her result:
Here's the message, recaptured by Marlene--

>>For debugging sake,
> >couldst try again to open the data I brought home yesterday,
>> and capture the error for Tuomas?
>
>ZZError: No client cell found on d.2!! at foo.Main.main

Best, Ted

At 05:27 AM 7/11/00 +0300, you wrote:
>> Next main thing: RELIABILITY AND DATA STABILITY.
>>
>> (I'll give you a most-wanted-features list shortly, but that's
>>  much less important than reliability and data stability--)
>
>Naturally, those go without saying.
>
>> 1)  Reliability--
>> The system has greatly improved: I can now go about 15 minutes
>>  between crashes.  (This is still behind the prototype).  This is
>>  just an estimate, but it's a definite feeling.  So it's gotten like
>>  the early days of personal software (ca. 1976), but still not
>>  very comfortable.
>
>This has several components:
> - for you, Windows. Not terribly stable
> - undefined operations. What should the system do when rotating
>   to an empty cell as a dimension, for example
> - actual bugs.
>
>> 2)  Data stability--
>> I could not move my data files forward from v.0704 to v.0706.
>>  This is not very reassuring.  While you've promised that I can
>>  run some kind of program to move it forward, I need to know
>>  the details of how to run such a program and the effort involved.
>>  So the question remains: When can data move forward invisibly?
>>  Till then I can only use the system for demos.
>
>0704 -> 0706 there are not that many changes! This is definitely
>a bug, and there should be no need for a program. Could you describe
>in detail what happens?
>
>	Tuomas

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965