:zz: THE REALM OF PURE CONNECTION(tm)

ZigZag(tm)-- THE REALM OF PURE CONNECTION

I always thought that rich and simple connections
 should be a fundamental part of a computer
 (i.e., at the operating system level).

Now I am offering an interesting new piece of software
 which represents my design for such a world--
 an operating system which keeps track of connections.
 It's called ZigZag.  I designed it in the eighties (design
 finished about 1986, maybe earlier; it has now been
 partly programmed, chiefly by Andrew Pam.)

A titillating paper on ZZ (with amusing pictures--
 somehow it always helps to say that)-- is at
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/zigzag/xybrap.html
It's my talk at the recent Wearable Computer Conference
 in Fairfax, Virginia.

I hope you will find the paper interesting enough
 to challenge you to try the program.  We think there is
 nothing else in the world like it.

It's offered as shareware at www.xanadu.net.

Since it currently runs only under Linux, we offer
 a boot diskette that will bring your computer up
 in Linux, running ZigZag.

We believe it will not touch your hard disk,
 since no hard disk drivers are installed, but we
 assume no liability.

Easy instructions for making the boot disk are at
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/zigzag/HZinstrux.html
.

Directions for use of ZigZag 0.49 are at
http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/zigzag/zzDirex.html

Enjoy.

Best, Ted

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:  "You don't want to destroy the educational system.
How else are you going to keep them out of the churches?"  -- Marvin
Minsky, 1981