fwd: reply to some questions by the great Ken Knowlton [resend]

Hi Ken--

>What I hadn't
>figured out how to ask you in time was:  just how general is it -- e.g. can
>you easily
>build a partially ordered structure (as in a page layout program, can you
have
>a relation COMPLETELY-LEFT-OF, where things that overlap horizontally DON'T
>have this link, many others do, like a diagonal mesh with lots of links
>missing).

I think so, definitely.

One of the things I want to do with this is create
 edit programs where you have access to cellular
 components (like paragraphs, embedded database items)
 and then it projects outward to "page" visualizations.

>Also, if the display is more than alphanumeric, do you have a freer display
>so,
>for example, the same node need not have multiple appearances but instead
>appears just once, with the connections appropriately twisted around?

That's a display routine you could write.
 One of the forms of extensibility is New Views.

>It's clear that it would be fun to build lots of things.  I think of it as
>somewhat in the
>spirit of my L6, but with a slightly more focused purpose.

Well, the purpose isn't exactly focused, but
 the structure is very specific!

=======================================
Ken Knowlton, one of the pioneers of computer graphics,
 was making computer movies in the early nineteen-sixties
 at Bell Labs.  One of his projects was L6 (Labs' Lower-Level
 List Language).  I believe this was a set of macro routines
 for for batch processing which did list threading and
 added definable data structures.

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:  "Software is about the politics of standardization."
 Ted Nelson, 1997.