Re: Why have a multipart document address?

Jeff Rush wrote:
[...] The DNS system provides some of that "string
=> number" mapping for the web, but Xanadu strives to avoid reliance
upon DNS.

Yes, it's important to avoid a global trust-root of any kind.

[...]
The question remains; what was Xanadu going to use for the human-
readable URI?  What do I put on my business card, my letterhead, in TV
ads, on billboards that points back to my content?

The billboard problem remains hard. For the rest, we've figured out some good answers since the Xanadu days. Please see http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/pnml.html and the discussion rooted at http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/cap-talk/2005-February/002754.html .

    Cheers,
    --MarkM