Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

Why harmful?  Looking to see your article.

If not embedded then where?

Until I read your article, I find myself inclined to disagree.

I would much rather have an ASCII file with embedded markup than a file
with binary markup (e.g. MS-Word, WordPerfect, etc.).  At least I know
I'll be able to read it 25 years from now.

What about an ASCII file with a separate file for markup, giving byte
offsets into the ASCII file?  This would then require a special editor
to keep the pointers straight, whereas HTML, etc., can be edited with
any vanilla text editor.

     - Rich