Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

Ah yes indeed!

I wrote a piece for the W3 journal last fall on it, "Embedded
 Markup Considered Harmful."  Hope to post URL shortly
 (I don't have it at the moment, but I think it's on the Web).

ChrzT.

At 02:35 PM 10/26/98 +1100, you wrote:

>I just read this on the Perl5Porters list:
>
>From :Chip Salzenberg <chip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> At the Conference, I was pleased to speak at length with Ted Nelson
>> on many subjects, and made the point to me that one of the Xanadu
>> system's best features was its total separation of markup (i.e.
>> formatting and hyperlinks) from content.  It would have allowed
>> (e.g.) me to use one set of markup and (e.g.) you to use another
>> set, all without duplicating or mangling the original content.  None
>> of this is at all feasible with HTML/XML, which would require either
>> duplicating content or commingling various independent sets of
>> markup data.
>
>Ted, what's this stuff?  (Yet Another) part of Xanadu I haven't heard
>of!  Sounds GREAT from Perl's POV.
>

>bekj

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.20:
"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible."
-- Anonymous.  (From http://www.pithemovie.com)