All of the WWW Available **Forever**

  True to my name handle, I'd like to alert y'all to the truly
  Xanadudlian mission of the start-up Internet Archive and Alexa
  companies, the former a non-profit effort to continuously

      s t o r e  ALL OF (unrestricted-access) WWW pages FOREVER ;

  the second a commercial outfit developing tools to browse and
  reuse such cumulative/ multi-generation archive contents.

  Acc. to their owner Brewster Kahle --formerly of the Thinking
  Machines Corp., and a father of WAIS-- one of the target functions
  of Alexa-derived software is to be a `"reliability service" that
  will resurrect dead links.  Give the URL and an approximate date
  to the Archive, and it will dig up the document.'.....  rings a
  bell, doesn't it?

  The Alexa archives are made of successive sweep-n-suck (BIIIG
  sucks, too) sessions of the entire WWW dataspace resulting in
  consecutive "frozen Webs" stored at one location -- currently
  a warehouse in SF; ultimately in the digital storage facility of
  the US National Archives in Washington, D.C.  Treating an entire
  docuverse as a collection of "barts" (or "stamps", I keep mixing
  them up) may sound like a bit of overkill, but whoever said that
  the (yellow brick) road to Xanadu must be straight and narrow?

__Ian

Based on Paul Bissex' article at:
http://webreview.com/97/05/09/edge/index2.html