Re: I have returned...AIDEMemoir-Xanadu Revisited (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Tim Tyler -----

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:59:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Tyler <timtyler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: I have returned...AIDEMemoir-Xanadu Revisited
To: Andrew Pam <avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Andrew Pam wrote:

> May I repost your message to the Xanadu discussion mailing list?

Yes, you may repost.  I don't know whether you have yet looked at the
CD-ROM included with Bill Gates' book "The Road Ahead" but it is
practically useless for inclusion in a personal data (information) base.
What I would like to do is store the whole thing in my personal archive
and find out what Bill Gates has to say on a particular subject when I
"need to know", but that is (intentionally?) made rather clumsy, (Unlike
"The Engines of Change" on the Library of the Future) The obvious purpose of
the CD ROM version of the book is to promote Microsoft products, and not for
use by researchers and/or authors.

Would I be willing to pay a modest royalty to Bill Gates (or the charity
of his choice) if the book was readily available on an AIDEMemoir-Xanadu
server and I found portions of it useful?  Of course, I would, but
as it is now I don't know when I will even get around to reading the
book - much less using the multi-media capabilities of the CD-ROM
version.  Ted's vision of the information age and the
requirements for effective electronic publishing remain clear
despite the horrible examples we are currently seeing out there.

"Immortality is to labor at an eternal task."  Ernest (Joseph)
Renan

----- End of forwarded message from Tim Tyler -----

--
<mailto:avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                  Andrew Pam