Re: Greetings

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:28:22PM -0800, tom poe wrote:
> Hello:  I'm copying Andrew directly, as he represents another mail list.

Thanks, but that isn't necessary since I am also on the Udanax mailing
list.  I do not "represent another mail list".  Rather I am the system
administrator for the Xanadu and Udanax domains, websites and mailing
lists and the server on which they run, as well as having been involved
with the Xanadu project since the 1980s.

> Well, I went to the site, skimmed through the material, and the impression I
> have, is that there is some work going on to reposition as a publishing
> house, "if-you-will".

Certainly not.  Xanadu is intended to permit people to publish information
on a global network (generally the Internet at this point), and while
no doubt Project Xanadu itself will continue to be a publisher both in
print and online it has never been the intention to run a centralised
organisation.  The original idea in the 1960s and 1970s was to have
franchised Xanadu outlets rather like Cybercafes in conjunction with an
online service in the vein of Compuserve, but since the early 1990s the
focus has changed to developing and designing software and concepts.

> On a grander scale, an Internet3 [Internet2 has already been fleshed
> out by the government and big business folks, along with universities]
> seems like an appropriate term.  This Internet3 would enable all those
> who want to write, publish, and receive royalties on the web, to have
> a nice arrangement.  Sort of butts up against other would-be publishing
> houses like Acrobat, e-book types.  What's truly appealing, is the part
> about transclusion, and at that level looks real good to me, IMHO.

Now you're on the right track.  Xanadu services will no doubt be provided
as overlays on other underlying services and protocols.

> So, the troubling part is, there does not seem to be any consideration given
> to my friend in Africa, who lives in a village, without any money, but wants
> to access the world.  Can't do it.  Even when we get s/he a computer, s/he is
> dead in the water.  Why?

Lack of access to the Internet?  You tell me.

> Nope.  Xanadu is just one more scam on those who wish to perpetuate
> illiteracy at the expense of those less fortunate.

What on earth are you talking about.  Xanadu in no way excludes third
world nations or users.  Are you suggesting that we should devote our
time to specifically assisting those in poorer nations?  While it is
certainly appropriate to consider how our designs can be used by all of
humanity, we are not a humanitarian aid organisation and it is ridiculous
to suggest that we should take on their work.

> Well, let's fix that little glitch.  This stuff is open source?
> Does anyone know what the situation is with udanax?  Is it software
> that can be placed on a server and client that tracks the documents?

The Udanax code is open source, yes.  If you want to work on it and
deploy it in third world countries I'm sure we would all be delighted.

> Anyone point me to the manual?

http://www.udanax.com/
http://www.sunless-sea.net/XanaduInfoArch

Hope that helps,