Re: febe interface async?

Okay, for now I will assume that the goal is a non-blocking interface
to the backend and that the front end heavy weight process can still
be executing as requests are made of the back end.  How this interacts
with specific window managers will have to be worked out.

I don't think any low-level network interface is reentrant--I'm
familiar with SunOS and SVr4 and they provide lowlevel interfaces
with select() allowing you to poll for io events.  The higher level
interfaces like rpc are not asynchronous (although they could go
much further in solving this common problem).

How about if Hugh, Markm and I talk about this (briefly) on Tuesday
after the status meeting?

Paul