replacement for the dependence mechanism

MarkM and I and Terry bashed out a replacement for the dependence
mechanism based on Terry's Effectors.  Effectors are faster, cleaner,
and easier to explain than dependence (and can co-exist), so we should
probably gradually replace all uses of dependence, and finally
eliminate it.

Note that we are currently using the dependence mechanism somewhat
incorrectly....  Changing to this new mechanism will be simpler than
trying to figure out what I mean.

Assuming I am well by then (yes, I'm still sick!), I'll talk about it
Wednesday (unless I figure out how to put it in a message before then).

dean