The Crucial Role Of Documentation

All through my life in software development, I and the people
I've worked with have talked about how important documentation
is. But in fact, in every project I've seen (including the ones
I've worked on), documentation has always gotten the least resources
last.

I have been as guilty of this as any of the people with whom
I've worked whom I would prefer to blame :-)

Anyway, I have been thinking about this a great deal for the
past couple of weeks with respect to Xanadu's products. My value
system has undergone a phase change. I have reached the following
conclusions:

1) The key to success for our third party developer tools will
not be the richness and power of the tools themselves, but rather
the quality of the online (i.e., hypermedia) documentation of
those tools. Effective tools for our third parties can be simple,
maybe even primitive; the online documentation cannot.

2) The Hypercard Tutorial/Help system was a quiet but brilliant
pinnacle in the history of online documentation. Even though
it has been around for 3 years now, surprisingly few people have
grasped how good it was or how much better it is than many other
newer online help systems. We should, we can, and we must, reach
out from that pinnacle, not from the popular neighboring valleys,
if we wish to ensure that people grasp and use the wonderfulness
of our creations.

3) Even with the Tapestry frontend, we can build excellent online
documentation. There are a number of specific techniques we can
use in Tapestry to embody many of the key benefits of the Hypercard
Help system despite the relative sparseness of Tapestry's features.

4) We need to focus on the quality of the online documentation
with the same sincerity that we have focused on the quality of
the server.

If you already accept all the above statements, you may wish
to skip over my next 3 messages. If you don't believe 1) above,
then please read the next message, which is the discussion of
why and how hypermedia documentation transforms the utility of
a product.

If you expect to get involved in writing hypermedia documentation,
you may be interested in the second message, which starts with
an analysis of why Hypercard's Help is so good, and outlines
some style concepts for good online documentation in general.

If you expect to use Xanadu frontends to write hypermedia documentation,
then by all means read the third message, which discusses implementations
of those concepts with the Tapestry frontend.

--marcs