Version Terminology

I like markm's term "state" to refer to sequential versions,
but I like ravi's term "edition" even more, for its obvious literary
overtones. So I cast my vote in favor of using the term "version" to
mean both parallel and sequential versions, use the term "variation"
to mean parallel versions, and the term "edition" to mean sequential
versions. Barring intense objections, everyone will see this
terminology in the infofactory frontend in the Capabilities Review
(which has been rescheduled to sunday to allow ravi to recover
from the flu).

--marcs