None

Abstract:  I'm suggesting a CAST operation in which the source and
destination types must be related through inheritance.  Alternatively,
this could be made a check for XLint.

I just realized that all my uses of CAST cast a pointer to some heaper
type to a pointer to a *descendant* heaper type.  This made me realize
that my discomfort with cast was always its ability to leap from
branch to branch in the inheritance tree.  I want the cast operation
(or a cast operation) to be defined as declaring a *more specialized*
type (or less, presumably).

In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that this is how the current
cast operation works, even though it's not defined that way.  I think
there's something XLint should check for, but I'm too tired to think
of it.  Any ideas?

dean