[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Draft Treaty On Links
- To: <xanatech>
- Subject: Draft Treaty On Links
- From: Marc Stiegler <marcs>
- Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 14:13:54 PDT
Dean and I have talked again about links. This time we strongly
filtered the discussion through the following criterion: for
Beta let us implement the minimum amount of mechanism that we
have reasonable hope will be good enough to be wonderful for
a first product, and then add more stuff if that minimum amount
Here is my understanding of our current agreement:
1) If the link is created as a part of new document creation
(i.e., "Attach New Note"), the link from the current highlighted
area in the active document to the new note is embedded in the
2) If the link is created between existing documents, the link
is not embedded.
3) We will consult markm about whether the links should be vcopied
when a referenced document in an inclusion list gets contained.
4) When the user has a link available for editing, if the link
is first class he sees the BY and FOR permission groups; if the
link is embedded, he sees a reference to the document whose permissions
Things for us to watch for in Beta testing are:
1) User confusion because the links are not version tracking
with changing documents.
2) User annoyance because multiple copies of the "same" link
are appearing in his link pane (roger is pretty sure this is
easily fixed, so that only one copy of the link appears in the
list; I hope so).
3) User annoyance because link sensors ring when people vcopy
Dean, what alterations do you wish to ink onto this treaty?