VC and PO: data-informing in archiving

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 89 20:11:53 PDT
   From: tribble (Eric Dean Tribble)

	 For starters, the capabilities are different.  When a Stamp is
	 complete, it is no longer data-informable.  Archiving will certainly
	 result in frozen Berts onto data-informable Orgls.  That's the only
	 way to have parts of published documents stored (like the part used in
	 a quote).

      Now I'm totally confused.  Why should archiving ever result in a
      frozen Bert of all things?  Orgls aren't data-informable, Stamps are.

   Two examples to clarify this.

   1) Machine A has a document X that quotes document Y.  The quoted
   material got transferred to A along with X.  Machine A ought to
   represent Y with a frozen Bert (because the actual document Y is
   frozen) onto a partial orgl that just contains the quoted material.
   Only when someone actually cares about Y itself does A bother
   retrieving the rest of the contents from another machine.

"A ought to represent Y with a frozen Bert (because the acual document
Y is frozen)" Well fine.  If it's actually frozen, then it should be
represented as frozen.  I thought I had asked above "Why should
archiving ever result in a frozen Bert of all things?".  Once again,
are you actually speaking of frozen Berts, or is this the (already
conceded) frozen Stamp issue?

   2) Machine A has frozen Berts X and Y and all their data.  X and Y
   share data.  Now the archiver throws away Y.  Some other user later
   gets Y from machine B which does not contain X.  Now machine A has
   both X and Y, but without the sharing information between them.

The last time I remember this example coming up (verbally) it was wrt
frozen Stamps.  Does it have anything to do with frozen Berts?